Monday, March 9, 2009

RIP Ciszek Fish

Last week, we went through this whole process of naming our newest community member to Ciszek Hall.  There were 3 options: Walter, Reggie, and .... some other name that clearly was forgettable. Walter because that is the first name through which Ciszek Hall is named, Walter Ciszek SJ.  Reggie because, as it was explained to me, that is the abbreviated name of the papal bull through which the Society was founded - Regimini Militantis Ecclesiae. So, in non-Jesuit fashion, we put the naming of our newest community member to a vote.  

And, the community decided that the fish's name was...Quang.  This, friends, is the power of the write-in vote.  Apparently, he was a Jesuit who lived in the community last year, so I've never met him. But, he's probably one of the most referenced Jesuit in this house as well. 

Well, I was looking in the fishbowl today because I actually had not yet looked at the fish myself and puzzled why I didn't not see a fish. The rector, seeing my astonished look, simply said to me: "He died."

Oh, newest community member that I never met, I'm sure you were a great addition to the community. Lots of laughs.  Lots of tears. You will be sorely missed. May you now be swimming in the waters of eternal life.  

So, perhaps you will be hearing about a new community member in the future. I, personally, like Reggie.  

2 comments:

testsjmg said...

Many (don't ask how I know) times a given fish will seem dead, but is in fact alive.

If an aquarium fish is overfed, the digestion process will interfere with its buoyancy bladders and it will float on its side until it has...um...jettisoned its digestive cargo. Then it will swim as normal.

Sadly, many an aquarium fish has been given a premature "burial at sea" by this penitent.

Now you know.

Ryan Rallanka, SJ said...

That's helpful information. Thanks, I will pass it on